Soller-Baker’s story began in 1865, when John Soller founded the Cabinet Makers Union at 222 Main St. in Lafayette. After Otto C. Baker joined the firm in 1927, the name was changed to Soller-Baker Co. Inc.
In 1929, our funeral home moved to a large home at the intersection of 4th and Alabama streets. William E. Wilhoit and Thomas R. Baer joined the staff in 1950 and became principal owners until their retirement in 1986. In 1965, Soller-Baker opened the West Lafayette Chapel. Four years later, Ronald W. Diem joined the funeral home, becoming president in 1986. At that time, our name changed to Soller-Baker Funeral Homes, Inc.
In the fall of 1995, we broke ground on the chapel on Twyckenham Boulevard and opened the location on July 1, 1996. Today, we continue to serve families at this location and at our West Lafayette Chapel.
On June 1, 2015, after nearly four decades of service at Soller-Baker, President Ronald W. Diem retired and entrusted John Benefiel and Scott Banes as the new owners. John, who started at Soller-Baker in 1985, and Scott, who joined in 1989, carry on the tradition of the highest-quality service families have received for over 150 years.